Me: There are politicians from every nook & cranny (i.e. parties) who qualify for this a** chewing in a big big way. I suppose I could be called a leech. I have never really broken free of the poverty line– though I am still working my tail off. I do not qualify for SSDI, social security disability insurance for those who paid in via a job. But I have worked incredibly hard over the years in many different ways. There IS value in things that one human can do for another, EVEN IF there is NO exchange of the all mighty dollar. I guess SS will be an entitlement for me. Except for the fact that I stayed married to two men long enough to collect via them if I can live to 72 (I think). That in and of itself was a chore. Life with the first one was a living hell most of the time. And while I love Clyde deeply, I have earned my keep by staying at his side and supporting him and caring for him as promised in our vows. (at his sickest I bathed him, while he sat in the shower and could do no more than hang his head!) I made a promise, I continue to keep it. It helps him, it helps me, and it keeps me off the “dole”. But when it comes time – do not think for one minute that myself or people like me (especially the ‘fairer’ sex) do not consider ourselves as deserving as those who have ‘paid their way’ in dollars & cents. (Medically speaking, I have had heath issues that will lead to my eventual death for nearly my entire life, even more so now, and that is one of many of the qualifications for SSDI. So, I have worked and given to society, I feel, in substantial and meaningful ways, and yet — I would be considered a leech. I am alive today thanks to modern technology, and nothing more, so I have the experience to speak to these issues. At least, I feel this way.)
The piece that I was responding to above:
One Really Pissed Off Lady!
Dick Durbin, a Senator from Illinois calls senior citizens the Greediest Generation as he compared “Social Security” to a Milk Cow with 310 million teats. Here’s a response in a letter from PATTY NYE from Illinois … I think she is a little ticked off! She also tells it like it is!
“Hey Dick, let’s get a few things straight!!!
1. As a career politician, you have been on the public dole (tit) for FORTY YEARS.
2. I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63).
3. My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would make Bernie Madoff proud.
4. Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and “your ilk” pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age, 67. NOW, you and your “shill commission” are proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN.
5. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now “you morons” propose to change the rules of the game. Why? Because “you idiots” mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal our money from Medicare to pay the bills.
6. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you “incompetent bastards” spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money. Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay off YOUR debt.
To add insult to injury, you label us “greedy” for calling “bullshit” to your incompetence.
Well, Captain Bullshit, I have a few questions for YOU:
1. How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 40+ year political career?
2. At what age will you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much will you receive in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?
3. How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?
4. What cuts in YOUR retirement and healthcare benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?
It is you, Captain Bullshit, and your political co-conspirators called Congress who are the “greedy” ones. It is you and your fellow nutcase thieves who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers.
And for what? Votes and your job and retirement security at our expense, you lunk-headed leech.
That’s right, sir. You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic, political careers. You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it.
And you can take that to the bank, you miserable son of a bitch.
P.S. And stop calling Social Security benefits “entitlements”. WHAT AN INSULT!!!!
I have been paying in to the SS system for 45 years “It’s my money” give it back to me the way the system was designed and stop patting yourself on the back like you are being generous by doling out these monthly checks .
EVERYONE!! If you agree with what a Illinois citizen, Patty Nye, says, please PASS IT ON!!!
Further reaction from family, friends, and me:
KA: All you need is 10yrs married to one man. Legally, I could collect from hubby#2’s social security, but I chose not to at this time.
Me: I was married to the first one for like 14–well, the divorce was final at around 16 years, I left between 14 & 15. Clyde and I have made it well over the 10 year mark at this point. Though, there might be a bit of contention legally when it comes time. But documents will prove it, and that is all I care about. Social security these days does not give you a choice (so I was told) who you draw from these days. You draw from whomever had the highest income. I can only assume, knowing my first husbands work ethic, that Clyde will have paid in far more. But who knows. In terms of survival, I’ll take what I can get and be happy. And I don’t particularly want to be called a leech or put down for doing what I have had to do over the years to keep myself and my kids safe, fed, healthy, and housed. I often did it by working very low wage jobs, 2 and 3 at a time, and yet did not make enough $$ to qualify for the ‘paid into’ programs. To think that mothering a brood of kids (alone a good deal of the time) counts as nothing in society really makes my blood boil, for without those kids, and the ethic we try to instill we have absolutely NO future for ourselves. Politicians, and a great many people, are very judgmental and short sighted. This is just my say in the matter. My 2 cents worth so to speak.
Cousin KNL: Well the repubs are planning to take soc sec and medicare away from us. So many elderly will have nothing if that happens, I thought we had learned from 1929, that people need care in their old age, and soc sec has served us well. Sure some get morethan they pay in, but some get nothing as they die before age 65, and the government keeps it. It’s an insurance, that’s why it’s called FICA. Like insurance, you pay in and can draw out when conditions are met. If you don’t use it, your heirs get nothing back (there’s the widow benefits but that’s built in). My first husband died on his 61st birthday. No I didn’t collect, I was still working and didn’t need it. I collect my own only, I’ve worked for almost 50 years so am I not “entitiled” to it? I paid a lot into it, and that’s what it was for.
I sure do fear for the future of our people if it is taken from us. elderly will just die in the ditches I guess, if they don’t have family to take them in. Of course the millionaires who make the laws and get the money now from this administration are going to be fine, and they will be happy to get rid of the old useless people.
ME: They make their living off the backs of the working people. They should be taking note of the the fact without the ‘common’ working people of this country there would BE NO living for them. Not to mention the fact, that as originally intended by the founding fathers, they were not supposed to collect money for their ‘jobs’. It was considered a public service. You did your few years and you went back home to live happily ever after. There has been an awful lot of ‘benefits’ grandfathered in over the years for our ‘career’ politicians who think so narrowly. There are a few who work hard enough to deserve it, I am sure. But, what I have seen in the recent past, leads me to believe, that most of them do not. It is 2018, and I can see that in general women are still treated like shit. And so are the uneducated (used, and abused), low income, and the likes. I am low incomed, but I am far from uneducated. Though I only have 2 two year degrees basically. I have read all my life. I soak stuff up. So, they can tell me to grow up and go home, but I’d look them in the eye and tell them to look in the mirror first. I’ll tell ya, these idiots would not want me as their President. I’d be looking for them to tow the line, for the good of ALL people — not themselves.
Cousin KNL: exactly Peggy, I’ve said that many times and I don’t understand why so many people don’t get it. The rich want us to buy the stuff their corporations make, but refuse to pay a living wage. So many people can’t even make rent, let alone buy products the corporations have for sale, It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
Me: The only premise that supports their train of thought is: greed, and serving the self. If they add religion into the mix as Jeff Session does, then you can toss in hypocrisy. There is very little that goes on in Washington D.C. that is “christian”